Re: [Fedora-i18n-list] Numeric values

Florian Festi wrote:
Hi!

I am currently working on the i18n of the foomatic printer database.
Messages that need to be translated are printer/printing option names
and values. These often contain numerical values like "600 DPI", "256 MB
Memory extention", "Tray 4", "1.125x3.5in, 28x89mm", "-30°" and so on.

To reduce to number of messages I'd like to merge string that only
differ by the numeric values to some thing like "%s DPI", "Tray %s", "%sx%sin. %sx%smm".
Are there any special issues I have to take care of. Do numbers need to
be translated into something else than [0-9]* in some languages and if
so is this done automatically by sprintf if LC_NUMERIC is set?

Thanks for your help

	Florian Festi

Hi,

Regarding the messages about which you are not sure what to do with them, i suggest you to extract all the messages as it is. And leave those messages up to translators as they better understand their language, and they can decide better what to write for particular message.

If you don't would like to give those messages for translation and would like keep them in English then don't extract those messages, otherwise there is no way AFAIK to reduce the number of messages.

Leaving the decision on translator is a better choice i would suggest you rather than doing automation using LC_NUMERIC or anything else...

Let me know, if you need any more clarification...

Thanks,

--
Ankit Patel

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora Users]     [Fedora Desktop]     [Fedora SELinux]     [Big List of Linux Books]     [Yosemite News]     [KDE Users]     [Fedora Tools]