Fonts packaging guidelines change status

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> WHAT IS IT ALL ABOUT
>
> On 2020-02-13, FPC approved a rewrite of our fonts packaging
> guidelines.

That re-write draft as included does not address PDF
portability

The Fedora most recent prior approach on fonts neglected
explicitly supporting the need of Latex chain created
documents for type 1 fonts to be embedded in PDFs.  It is my
understanding that Type 1 fonts are felt to not screen render
as well as some later alternatives, but when it comes to
generating a Portable Document to reliably render 'the same',
one HAS to carry and prefer embeded fonts when present

When one is missing fonts, and runs something like:

	dvips -t letter -Ppdf -G0 -j0 mypaper.dvi \
		-o mypaper.ps

one will get a 'missfont.log' as to an inability to embed a
required font, 'required' for completeness for portability
purposes

See the discussion at:
	https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/pdf-fonts.html

and its practical implication is discussed at:
	https://blogs.adobe.com/acrolaw/2007/11/pdf_creation_and_font_embedding/

The TL;DR takeaway is:

	The USPTO requires that PDF must be:

		Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3) or higher
		(See note at end of article)
		No larger than 8.5? by 11? or A4 page size
		Have all fonts embedded and subset

It is not JUST preparation of documents for filing there, but
also for submitting 'camera ready PDF copy' to Lulu print on
demand.  Lulu is a child of Robert Young [a serial
entrepreneur who is best known for founding Red Hat Inc]

	https://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/33148

	https://connect.lulu.com/en/discussion/33681/pdf-creation-settings-how-can-i-be-sure-my-pdf-will-print-correctly

		pull rquirement: All fonts should be converted
		to outlines and embedded

There is a collection of 13 fonts provided under a freely
reproducable license from Adobe, known as the Base 13 fonts

- Courier, Courier-Bold, Courier-Oblique & Courier-BoldOblique
- Times-Roman , Times-Bold , Times-Italic & Times-BoldItalic
- Helvetica, Helvetica-Bold, Helvetica-Oblique &
	Helvetica-BoldOblique
- Symbol

[ but not: - ZapfDingbats ]

I understand that they were removed from Fedora, as the Base
13 are Type i fonts .... but dang it, at least for purposes of
completeness to be able to generate legal documents, and to
permit me to continue to use FOSS tools to publish for
fulfullment at Lulu, can we get these Type 1 fonts back,
regardless of slight risk of aesthetic discontent ?

Is a formal 'bug' needed to track this ?

Thank you

-- Russ herrold