Re: fonts group in comps clean up proposal

Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 10:59 AM Akira TAGOH <tagoh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

There might seems some extra font packages being installed by default.
I rewrote a script to generate the default font table [1] to estimate
with more accurate way and checked fonts group with it.

Here is the list of font packages not used for any languages as a
default font. if no particular reasons to keep it in default, I'll
propose to move them to optional. please comment if you have. and
maybe good to keep the reason as a comment in comps perhaps.

aajohan-comfortaa-fonts (from commit log; moved to default because of
design-suite)
abattis-cantarell-fonts (default font in GNOME)
google-noto-emoji-fonts
google-noto-sans-lisu-fonts
google-noto-sans-mandaic-fonts
google-noto-sans-meetei-mayek-fonts
google-noto-sans-tagalog-fonts
google-noto-sans-tai-tham-fonts
google-noto-sans-tai-viet-fonts
julietaula-montserrat-fonts (from commit log; moved to default because
of design-suite)
liberation-mono-fonts
liberation-sans-fonts
liberation-serif-fonts
paratype-pt-sans-fonts
sil-mingzat-fonts (moved to default for Lapcha script but no orth in
fontconfig. need this?)

tabish-eeyek-fonts (moved to default for Meitei but not satisfying
coverage for mni. need this?)

I think we got some mismatch here. The mni language uses 2 scripts Bengali and Meetei Mayek. We have fontconfig orth file for mni using Bengali only as its preferred by Government. So, ideally any Bengali font should work for mni language. The tabish-eeyek-fonts is based on Meetei Mayek script but we have no covering orth file. Let's move this font to optional fonts group.

Regards,
Parag.