Re: Emoji font in default installation?

Top posting: Just to update on this.
We have recently added subpackage google-noto-color-emoji-fonts  [1] from google noto fonts project.

1. http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=5877202

On 11 February 2015 at 03:08, Peter Oliver <lists.fedoraproject.org@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 10 February 2015 at 14:31, Nicolas Mailhot
<nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not to mention that to be actually useful, color support must exist on
> both sides of the conversation (and the Google solution is not the only
> one one the market).

Sure, this is Google's attempt at encoding colour into fonts, but the
characters themselves are ordinary Unicode characters, so
interoperability between IM participants doesn't seem to be a
particular problem, to me.  Emoji look different from phone to phone
and from website to website, but people mostly seem to cope fine with
that.

> Probably too early to set it as defaut, at best as a
> dep of the first Fedora IM client that can make use of it. And then remove
> the dep when it's no longer experimental-ish

Let's not get hung up on the fact that the font I suggested happens to
encode colour.  I can receive emoji IMs today via Gnome Shell's
notifications.

I guess the questions I'm asking are: are emoji now sufficiently
common that we should include by default a font that can display them?
 If yes, what is the most suitable font for that?

--
Peter Oliver