Re: Font issues in F21

De: "Hans de Goede" <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hi,

On 10/30/2014 11:01 PM, Orion Poplawski wrote:

>> Can some font experts weigh in on how to properly solve the first issue
>> without triggering the second?

> The first issue can be fixed by patching luit to search under /usr/share/X11/fonts
> rather then /usr/share/fonts/X11, my thinking behind adding the symlink was that
> their will likely be other apps with the same problem as luit.

The root of the problem of course is that luit and other similar apps have still not be updated to use fontconfig properly, 12 years after it was introduced. And every time someone adds a hack to avoid fixing those apps it breaks something else.

I personnaly think that short of making them fail fast and hard nothing will convince their upstreams to look at fontconfig and till then they will continue to produce side effects on the rest of the system. You get all the problems that caused fontconfig to be written in the first place, without any hope of improvement (since the solution is to use fontconfig, it was written to handle font discovery sanely).

Regards,