Re: Liberation 2.0 Vs Liberation 1.0 (Need comments)

On 7 December 2012 18:00, Kamil Paral <kparal@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> No worries. Simply yum update will revert this change. :)
> Building liberation 1.07.2-11 with epoch for F18

Perfect, thanks Pravin. It's good to switch to a new technology, but just when it is really ready, not sooner. I'm very glad about the decision that was made.

This is not matter of readiness of technology. Liberation 2.0 is definitely ready. If you see the coverage of Liberation 2.0 it is 4 times to Liberation 1.
  • Latest Version - Older Version
  • 2302 (sans) - 667
  • 2274 (mono) - 666
  • 2303 (serif) - 662
1. We have reverted this only because problem of backward compatibility with hinting output. It is sad actually for hinting results of 600 characters, we are not able to provides Fedora users 1800 additional characters.

2. Main goal of Liberation fonts is to providing compatibility fonts for Windows fonts Arial, Times New Roam and Courier. Presently coverage of these Windows fonts is huge. So just think if documents cover other characters than existing coverage of Liberation, and someone open same document in Fedora, will user get his intended layout?
are we still achieving our main goal of providing compatibility fonts to users?

problem is something different and we need to think on that. I will see if i can do something for Fedora 19.

Regards,
Pravin Satpute