Re: Liberation 2.0 Vs Liberation 1.0 (Need comments)

Le Lun 3 décembre 2012 15:26, pravin.d.s@xxxxxxxxx a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
>   As you know Liberation 2.0 is one of the feature of Fedora 18. Recent
> analysis and comparison with Liberation 1 it is more clear that final
> output of Liberation 2.0 is not as sharp as it was with Liberation 1.0.
> Though both are from same vendor (Ascender Corporation) hinting bytecodes
> are different.

As you wrote results are subjective and I can't stand myself windows-like
font butchering (subpixel hinting, gross glyph distortion). IMHO some
people are fighting a losing battle in trying to perpetuate bitmap font
rendering.

Every new font is going the Liberation 2 way so I'm not sure at all
investing in old-style hinting is useful at all. I've seen the very same
horror cries when Luxy was dumped, and history showed they were a very
small minority.

It may be best to keep a Liberation1 package somewhere and have old-style
hinting fans maintain it. But I doubt they'll be able to keep up with
Unicode changes. And anyway with hi-dpi screens hitting Apple customers
nows, and Android tablet producers following suit, Liberation1-style
hinting is going to be irrelevant in a few years. Resources would be
better expanded in getting our GUI stack to work with hi-dpi before such
hardware becomes common IMHO.

--
Nicolas Mailhot