Re: default font list for f17

On 03/09/2012 04:19 AM, Peng Wu wrote:
I choose "WQY Zen Hei Sharp" instead of "WQY Zen Hei Mono" for
monospaced font. Because we changed the default Simplified Chinese fonts
to embedded-bitmap font version in F17, but "WQY Zen Hei Mono"  doesn't
contains embedded-bitmap font in it. We are waiting for user feedback
about to use the embedded-bitmap font version as default.

replacing a mono font by proportional ones will cause
layout issues, which I think is more severe than the
mere aesthetic difference.

To solve this problem needs to tell fontconfig which language you are
using; for gnome, you can try to use "export PANGO_LANGUAGE=zh_CN:en" to
explicitly tell fontconfig from gtk to display Simplified Chinese and
English characters in pango. This method works for Simplified Chinese
users in English locale since F16 or before. We will try to provide this
customization by future fonts-tweak-tool version.

yes, I understand this solution perfectly, as this was not
the first time discussed. But it does not solve the issue.
Browsing Chinese pages on a freshly installed English
system still gives me an embarrassingly ugly look, so
felt by many other Chinese users who had complained
before. The solution is there, but has never been
considered.

Qianqian

Thanks,
   Peng Wu

Qianqian

especially please
pay attentions for the fonts which is gray-colored and
decorated with bold:

Arabic - serif
Urdu - serif

that would means it may breaks the default font selection
when it's installed for other language (it is supposed to be
pulled in by other languages). if it's not what expected, it
should be limited for the certain languages then.

Also that would be a good idea to have the default fonts for:

Tibetan (bo)
Dzongkha (dz)
Thai (th)

On those languages, any fonts in "other" section, which
would supports that language isn't installed by default.
maybe good to think about picking one up from them.

http://tagoh.fedorapeople.org/fonts/f17-defaultfonts.html

Cheers,
--
Akira TAGOH