Re: handling of fonts in the langpack plugin

Behdad Esfahbod (behdad.esfahbod@xxxxxxxxx) said:
> So, if i understand it correctly, you're asking for a way to get the
> default font for a language. Right?

Right. Given a language (zh, pa, pt_BR), I want to be able to grab the
default font, so we don't have to have the language support groups.

> That sure sounds like something Fontconfig shall be able to answer,
> but it's tricky. Do you need this on the server or client?  Cause
> FcMatch and friends only return fonts that are installed. What you
> want can be done by processing the ":lang=foo" pattern by Fc
> Sybstitute calls, then taking the resulting family list and pickin the
> first one that supports the lang in question.
>
> After you answer my question re which side you need this on I can
> hopefully provide more concrete advice.

On the client, which may have no font packages installed. I thought about
having the plugin read the fontconfig configuration for preferred fonts, but
given that that operates based on the configuration files in the font
packages themselves, I don't have the information there that I would need.

Bill