Re: [announcement] Code2000 font switched license from shareware to GPLv3+FE || OFL

On Sat, 2012-02-04 at 19:14 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-04 at 19:06 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
>
> > Great news! The author of the Code2000 pan-Unicode font has recently
> > switched the font to being licensed under the GNU GPLv3.
>
> Unfortunately this may appear to be a hoax:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Code2000
> http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2012-m02/thread.html#4

Some developments:

The code2000 sf.net project has been defaced by someone:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/code2000/

john knightley discovered that the person behind James' address is not
James himself, see attachments and his mail to the unicode list:

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2012-m02/0064.html

Other folks who know James say similar things:

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2012-m02/0055.html

The address used has been unsubscribed from the unicode list and others:

http://www.unicode.org/mail-arch/unicode-ml/y2012-m02/0057.html

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

--- Begin Message --- Dear Paul,

the person using one of James Kass' old email addresses has been watching public mailing lists, like the unicode mailing, and using the answers in them to try and pretend to be James Kass. When asked questions that the answer can not be found on google he claims that he is suffering from loss of memory.

The whole way that he expresses himself is totally different to any emails that I have ever received from James Kass. There is no similarity whatsoever between the writer of the emails and the person is using the att.net email address now.

It is true that James Kass has not contacted people for several years, but nothing in the emails suggests it is him.  The writer of the emails is clueless about the font he claims to be the creator of.

Me:-

"Dear James,

just so I can be certain it is you and not someone else who has highjacked your email account could you confirm who you are by saying something about how Code2000 is produced and say some topic we have talked about in the past.

Regards
John"

His Reply (taken from information on the unicode mailing list)

"My fonts were initially developed via *.DBF format, namely 66 megabyte dBASE III database file, which was much later, thus since 2011/2012 abandoned in favour of direct *.TTF editing."

reply from me:-

    "ok and what programming language did you use to generate the font from the database?"

Answer given (James Kass address is in the font file):-
  " I cannot recall it, since I routinely delete old development versions, staying only with the newest one, now using since 2001/2012 native *.ttf development by means of FontCreator, but I can provide you ZIP data related to me: 2807 Erskine Creek Road, Space 93, Lake Isabella, California, U.S.A. 93240 "

Regards
John

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 2012-02-04 at 19:56 +0800, john knightley wrote:

> I know James reasonably well I will contact him to see what he has to
> say.

Will you be doing that via his att.net email or some other means?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Dear Paul,

the replies I am getting to questions sent to the att.net email address - make it clear the person replying is not the person who made Code2000.ttf but rather some one dependent upon what he can find by google searches.  If I manage to  contact the real James Kass, as in the maker of Code2000 fonts I will post it here.

A number of other mailing list had this thread but I am not a member of them if you could contact them it would be appreciated.

Regards
John

I tried another email first however that no longer in use. Presently asking questions to see if it  is possible to confirm identity of the person of the att.net address.