Re: VL Gothic odd characters (Mark Alford)

Mark,

> All the native speakers of Japanese that I have consulted tell me that
> these kanji look odd, definitely non-standard. They have never seen
> "soto" or "uchi/KA" written this way in handwriting, and hardly ever in
> books.

I guess you consulted (relatively) young Japanese speakers only.  My
understanding is that the difference of the style you are talking is
something like traditional vs modern preferences.  It appears that, for
whatever reason, the designer of VL Gothic chose the traditional style
for this particular one.  If you don't like his/her decision, that's
fine.  You can have your own opinion.  However, I don't think it is a
bug; it is a matter of preferences.

> My teacher told me that if any student wrote these kanji in the
> VL-Gothic way, they would be corrected.

I'm not sure what your teacher actually said, but I believe you
misunderstood her explanation.

> Does anyone know of a computer kanji font that uses the standard form of
> these characters, the form that is used in printing books and is taught
> to students in Japan?

I'm not sure what you want, but just as an example, you can download a
PDF copy of the latest (revised last year) Joyo kanji hyo (List of
regular use Kanji) from a web site of Bunka Cho (Agency for Cultural
Affairs, a Special Body in Ministry of Education.)  Although it is
called "List", it is not just a list; it is a part of definitive
document of modern Japanese orthography for legal/official uses, issued
by the Prime Minister.

The PDF is available on the following page:
http://www.bunka.go.jp/kokugo_nihongo/kokujikunrei_h221130.html

# The page is entirely in Japanese, and the "English" link on the upper
# right doesn't lead you to a corresponding English page...

On 24th page of the above PDF, you can see the character in question.
You will find the document shows the shape you called a bug as the
reference shape.  Note that this PDF has all required fonts embedded,
and the shape of characters you see is what authorities saw when they
approved this publication.

On 9th page, you can also see the same character under the item (6)
(jsut above 3.)  It is an example of the explanation beginning on the
7th page.  I'm not sure you are able to read the explanation, but your
teacher should.  It essentially says the difference of the shapes you
pointed out are both acceptable.

In summary, the shape you called a bug is not a bug.  It is perfectly
acceptable.  On the other hand, the shape you prefer is also
acceptable, too.  it is just a matter of preference.

I myself has no strong preferences over any of these shapes for this
particular character.  I will not object if you get a majority support
from Fedora community to modify the shape of this character.  However,
I don't agree to call it a bug.

---
Masahiro Sekiguchi <seki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>