Re: Partially hinted fonts

On 03/31/2011 07:59 PM, Masahiro Sekiguchi wrote:
>> I have noticed that several of the non-Latin fonts we ship in Fedora contain
>> partial hinting information, usually not covering (or covering only very
>> poorly) the intended target alphabet(s) of the fonts.
> It is a common practice in so-called CJK regions.

it is an unfortunate situation, but the difficulties are clear:
1) there are so many CJK characters 2) we don't have efficient tools
to make the hint and 3) even hinted characters are not perfect on
all screens.

I can't say for CJK in general, but for Chinese fonts, even
in commercial ones, fonts with Chinese glyph hinted
are VERY rare. Most of them are unhinted at all, even for
non CJK glyphs. Some of them embed bitmaps. The only Chinese
font that comes with hinting is the Sans/Hei-styled Yahei/JhengHei
[1] shipped in Vista/Win7. The rumor was that MS payed Monotype
$100 per glyph to create the hinting for the Chinese characters.
And I believe it is true!

The hope for Chinese users to have improved rendering on
Linux is autohinting. Sadly, the autohinter in freetype
performs poorly at this point. Uniformity of the strokes,
alignment along the edges and baseline, rendering of the
curved strokes are far from satisfactory, actually a
lot worse than the experience using unhinted CJK glyphs.

I think the CJK autohinter in freetype2 needs a major
rework in order to make it usable. Maybe it can be
explored in some Google Summer of Code projects in the
future.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_YaHei