Re: Fixing glob2

On 14/03/11 14:38, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:43:29 +0100,
>   Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03/13/2011 06:01 PM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
>>> glob2 includes a single ttf file that I can probably replace with a symlink to
>>> dejavu sans. Based on a an upstream discussion about an aborted switch to a
>>> nonfree font, I suspect the font is free, but is there some way to check?
>>
>> What I usually do is install fontforge and then:
>> fontforge foo.ttf
>>
>> Then go to the Element menu and select font info (or press ctrl+shift+f),
>> usually you can find some more info about the origin there.
>
> Thanks, that is what I was looking for. The font file says it is dejavu sans,
> so I don't need to remove it from the archive.

Quick note to mention that alternatively you could use fontaine
http://unifont.org/fontaine/ to review the metadata and export a text
report.

There are also simple but handy fontforge scripts like fontlicense.py
on: http://utilities.open-fonts.org/

Plenty of goodies to do more analysis in:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=fontpackages.git

and there's always the Debian package font review, for example here's
the urrent report for glob2:
http://pkg-fonts.alioth.debian.org/review/pkg-glob2-data.html

Replacing duplicated font files with appropriate dependencies is
probably the best approach.

HTH,

--
Nicolas Spalinger,