Re: HVD Comic Serif Pro: licensing confusion

On 02/11/2011 11:37 AM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Ven 26 novembre 2010 21:56, J.B. Nicholson-Owens a Ãcrit :
>
>> Looking at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/HVD_Comic_Serif_fonts it seems
>> that Fedora considers CC BY 3.0 unported to be the only operative
>> license on this font.  But how has Fedora determined that this
>> Readme.txt file can be ignored?  I looked through the mailing list
>> archives for this list and found no discussion referring to this font.
>
> Font authors are often very confused about licensing. A large part of font
> packaging is straightening the licensing bits with upstream :( So this is not
> an isolated case. Many fonts are put on the wishlist because there seems to be
> some intent by upstream to put them under a liberal license. This needs to be
> confirmed by the packager. Usually, upstream is actually ok with the floss
> license, just forgot to clean up previous licensing terms from readmes or from
> the fonts themselves.
>
> So don't panic. There's no reason to think the restrictive bits were added
> after the CC-ing. You just need to check with upstream.

I already checked with upstream back in December, and they replied:

Hi Tom,

I am sorry for the confusion.
I changend the License from to textfile to the CCA 3.0
but it seems i forgot to delete the conflicting parts.

Thank you for your email. I will lchange this.

And: You can use the HVD Comic Serif and include it in Fedora, if you want.

Best regards,
Hannes

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ
HVD Fonts
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

Hannes von DÃhren
SchillerstraÃe 34
10627 Berlin/Germany
T: +49 (0)173 357 93 76
hannes@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.hvdfonts.com

ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ

I thought I had passed this along, but maybe I forgot.

~tom

==
Fedora Project