Re: can Libertine fonts be embedded in non-gpl application?

Le Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:47:53 -0500,
Brandon Casey <drafnel@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> I am interested in embedding the Libertine font within an application
> at work, so that this application can produce documents using the
> Libertine font.  The target systems will not have the Libertine fonts
> installed.  I know I can distribute the font files along side the
> application, but it would be nice if that was not necessary.  The
> Libertine fonts are licensed as GPL with a font embedding exception.
> The wording of the exception talks about embedding the fonts in a
> "document".  Would embedding the font within the application
> (non-gpl) fall under the category of "document", or would the
> compiled binary now fall under the terms of the GPL (which my
> employer is not interested in)?
>
> Any help or pointers to the appropriate source (possibly at Redhat) to
> contact is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -brandon

If I don't misunderstood you, you don't plan to distribute your
software, just to deploy it at your work. IANAL but it's as if you
modify a GPL software and don't distribute the modified software, the
new binary is not under GPL, so with the "GPL contagion" it should be
the same : if you don't distribute the software, no contagion.

Pablo