can Libertine fonts be embedded in non-gpl application?

I am interested in embedding the Libertine font within an application at work, so that this application can produce documents using the Libertine font.  The target systems will not have the Libertine fonts installed.  I know I can distribute the font files along side the application, but it would be nice if that was not necessary.  The Libertine fonts are licensed as GPL with a font embedding exception.  The wording of the exception talks about embedding the fonts in a "document".  Would embedding the font within the application (non-gpl) fall under the category of "document", or would the compiled binary now fall under the terms of the GPL (which my employer is not interested in)?

Any help or pointers to the appropriate source (possibly at Redhat) to contact is appreciated.

Thanks,
-brandon