Re: Font subsetting is patented?

On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 13:57 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > Le mardi 12 août 2008 à 15:41 +0300, Vasile Gaburici a écrit :
> > > Seems to me this way:
> > > http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6252671/description.html But
> > > IANAL...
> >
> > For this kind of question, ask fedora-legal or spot
>
> More font fun? :(
>
> Can someone please give me a summary of the concerns we have here and
> how it relates to Fedora? Keep in mind that I'm by no means a font
> expert.

Why do we care at all? If we obey all patents issued in the US or other
countries it's not possible to make a functioning desktop at all.

I never understood why something important like truetype hinting will
always be turned off because of patents while everything else that's
patented seems to be ignored. Lately the story came that MS got a
patent on PageUp and PageDown, do we now make those keys not work
because of that?

Ben