Re: Improve the demo objects from install

On Wed, 2018-01-10 at 12:17 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> On 01/10/2018 10:58 AM, Mark Reynolds wrote:
> > So you could do a filter like this for your example above:
> >
> > "(|(sn=*brown")(sn=*brown west"))"
>
> So the case I'm thinking of for the front end is a directory listing,
> in
> which case you wouldn't be so specific to know to add the West.
> >
> > or
> >
> > "(|(sn=* brown")(sn=* brown *"))"  --> note the spaces
>
> This would grab anything inbetween though right? So it would grab
> Brown
> as a middle name too. There's no way to specify order positioning
> beyond
> first * / * last / * anything in middle * ? Eg no regexp?
>
> The context I'm in here is a front end developer trying to get the
> data
> in a format so they can provide a list of users in a list interface
> and
> have a reasonable way to sort without having to rely on just using
> the
> first substring.

So these are all great points Mairin, but they still exclude:

Singlename
Lastname1 lastname2

Imagine if you last names were say .... alice bob. But you wanted to be
found under "alice bob". Today, you would not, you would be found under
"bob". Not what we want at all! And our singlename friend would not
even be allowed to exist at all (do you make their givenname the
surname? That's not right either ...). This is just disrespectful to
both of these individuals :(

Your "frontend" with it's "western" style of "lastname, othernames" can
not accommodate these people :(

We have the ability to order by displayName, and the ability to search
on any substring of the name so you can find your identity efficiently.

As a result, sort by displayname and searching is really the best way
to get access to this, even if not perfect, because we allow people to
express their name and identity in a way that is meaningful to them :)

People will quickly see that it's ordered by "displayname" and they'll
search anyway (if that wasn't their default reaction, most people's
last name are not "aa" ... ).

Too many "brown"s? Just search "william brown". Or even just " brown"?
uid can be searched too, so if I know there are 300 "william browns", I
can always look for "wibrown" or "firstyear". There are so many options
here :)

And that's also kind of the point of this change, to highlight how we
think about names in such a limited manner, how we are constraining
ourselves to this single (often American) centric world view. For years
in open source we have had "handles" instead (for example, firstyear
for me). We have no issue just "sorting by handle" and "letting people
choose their handle" etc. We have all this software that works "just
fine" in this environment, so I think people will cope if we just sort
by "displayName" :)

--
Sincerely,

William Brown