Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Read only config

Richard Megginson wrote:
Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 12:40 -0600, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
On Friday 09 February 2007 11:37, Richard Megginson wrote:
Howard Chu wrote:
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:15:11 -0700

From: Richard Megginson <rmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 20:23 -0800, Pete Rowley wrote:

The debian folks (who take FHS seriously)won't buy that.  The
real test

is the ability to have a read only /etc. This sounds like a /var/lib
thing.  >
I think there are two things which are required by Fedora DS to satisfy the requirements. 1) Need to be able to specify, during configure, the default path for instance specific writable config files. This would allow you to do something like:
./configure --with-instconfigdir=/var/lib/fedora-ds ....
If not specified, the default would be $(sysconfigdir)/$(PACKAGE_NAME). When you specify this, you can use ds_newinst.pl to create a new instance without having to specify config_dir=/var/lib/fedora-ds/slapd-instance in your .inf file. I think this would solve the immediate problem.

However, the real problem here is that you may want to run your server with a read-only config for security reasons. so 2) Need to be able to run the server with read-only config. The first time the server starts up, it would need to have a writable config dir, but after that, it should be able to run with a read-only config. This would involve several changes to the server, and would necessitate adding another server directory to store state information (or just use the dbdir for this). I think the uuid gen and csn gen (and now the dna plugin) need to store state information which is now stored in dse.ldif. We would have to move this information to some other location.
We might consider having a particular subtree for dynamic configuration i.e. that which is updated automatically with persistent run time state changes rather than as a consequence of direct admin initiated config changes, we could then make that a separate back-ldif backend with its own location.

--
Pete