Re: [Fedora-directory-devel] Please review: Bug 227771: FHS: use sysconfdir (/etc) as config file location

Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 08:15:11 -0700

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 20:23 -0800, Pete Rowley wrote:

> The debian folks (who take FHS seriously) won't buy that. The real test
> is the ability to have a read only /etc.  This sounds like a /var/lib
> thing.  >
> Before you get into pain over this, I suggest finding a FHS expert.

Does Debian forbid cfengine? webmin? If you do need to occasionally edit a config file, do you have to change the permissions on /etc to read-write, then change it back?

For a lot of secure installs, yes, this is what's done.
What does openldap do on those systems when using back-config? Do you have a symlink from /etc/openldap/config to /var/whatever, so that people looking for some config can find it?

> Note that even files such as
/etc/fstab can be dynamic as devices/filesystems are dynamically mounted/unmounted.

Actually fstab is just a static file. You might be thinking of mtab. Some of these things just get symlinked to /var/run which is writable.
No, on my system /etc/fstab is dynamically updated - so is /etc/mtab.

I guess what I'm trying to determine is - who can definitively answer this question?

However, if /etc really is sometimes mounted read-only, then there are a couple of options: 1) Always put our config files under /var/lib/fedora-ds/slapd-instance, and just create a symlink /etc/fedora-ds/slapd-instance that points to /var/lib/fedora-ds/slapd-instance 2) Have the location be distro specific e.g. debian and derived packages will use /var/lib, fedora derived packages will use /etc

At any rate, it should be a configure option.