Re: perl.pc file, for pkg-config, in perl-devel

Quoting Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx>:

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 12:51:35PM +0000, Aorimn wrote:
This may not be the place to discuss this; if so, I apologies and
beg you to show me the right place.

I'm currently working on a C project which provides ability to
extend the project through perl plugins -- among lua, ruby, python
and C plugins.
Although the perl plugin support is fine in itself, we miss the
perl.pc file to be able to use pkg-config in our Makefile as we do
with the others languages.

I appreciate your suggestion, however, in my opinion, putting the file only
into Fedora does not make much sense. I think this feature should be
everywhere or nowhere. That means the right place to discuss is the Perl's
upstream <perlbug@xxxxxxxx>.

Ok, thank you for the pointer here.

We thus wrote an attached perl.pc file suitable to Fedora 19 and
wondered if this file could be added to the perl-devel package. This
file should be placed in the /usr/lib64/pkgconfig/ folder after
installation for pkg-config to be able to find it. The file is an
adapted copy of the lua.pc file found in this very same directory.

The canonical source for CLFAGS and LDFLAGS is a configuration stored in
Perl interpreter libperl.so which can be accessed by Config Perl module. See
perlembed(1) manual. There is ExtUtils::Embed module to make it easily.

Therefore I forecast that Perl comunity will be reluctant to add pkgconfig
file. But you can try your luck there.

And speaking for Fedora Perl maintainers, as I said, I don't think extending
Fedora only is helpfull from global point of view. I don't want to start
emerging upstream projects that builds on Fedora only.

Thank you again, I'll have a look at this config module.

--
Aorimn

--
Fedora Extras Perl SIG