Re: Perl on Reddit

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 07:25:16PM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
> Looking at the dependency chain for perl-core, it brings in perl-devel
> directly and as a prerequisite for modules such as perl-ExtUtils-MakeMaker
> and perl-ExtUtils-Miniperl. Assuming perl-devel is what brings in the C
> development toolchain that's undesired, would this be a possibility,
> however distant (direction suggested by hobbs on IRC): remove the
> perl-devel dependency from these modules, and have 'perl' then be able to
> install everything else - the whole set of expected core modules?

Missing compiler (gcc) for building XS modules is common pitfall some
distributions do and there is also vocal camp of complainers about that.

I actually want to weaken the dependency on gcc, but the implementation will
differ. The perl-devel will miss dependency on gcc per C language packaging
guidelines (as it includes standard C library headers), but
perl-ExtUtils-CBuilder will require it (as it executes gcc binary). It's still
undecided what packages will Require or Recommend perl(ExtUtils::CBuilder).

But so or that if you want to install everything Perl upstream delivers, then
you will get ExtUtils::CBuilder module on your system and that will pull in
gcc. This is a natural dependency that cannot be avoided if you do not want to
break integration that Fedora as any other Linux distribution aims to achieve.

-- Petr