Re: Macros controlling the source/target/release level flags for javac

On 12/10/20 11:59 AM, Fabio Valentini wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2020 at 11:54 AM Jiri Vanek <jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Ping?
>>
>> Fabio,Severin, Mikolaj? Any thoughts?
>> On 12/7/20 11:23 AM, Jiri Vanek wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I had risen this topic during jdk11 bump. but it somehow get lost.
>>>
>>> The idea is, to provide rpm macros, keeping the default source/target eventually - for jdk11 and up -the release - numbers for javac to use.
>>> Then to provide tooling, which will help packagers to use them - for ant and maven it should be simple. For others, probably nothing to do on our side, each packager will be able to patch/sed theirs builds as necessary (Still it will help  a lot for future).
>>> I do not know how to provide them as default (except hardcoding in xmvn, and only allow to disable them on demand).
>>>
>>> This will smooth the bump to jdk17 in f36 really a lot.
>
> Sorry for being quiet so far. I have been thinking about a solution
> for this that's based on macros, but I hadn't written it down yet.

Thank you very much. You are one step ahead.

> My solution would look something like this:
> - introduce %_javac_source, %_javac_target, and %_javac_release macros
> - use those macros in %mvn_build (not sure if there's an ant
> equivalent, those build.xmls are all incompatibly different ...)
> - define default values for those macros (possibly set them to "8" for
> now, and bump to something higher later, as necessary)
> - if necessary, users can override those values in their .spec files,
> by doing something like "%global _javac_target 9"

Right. Your ideas are 100% aligned with mine.
For ant, sed-like approach may be enough. To make it in simialr way as are %pom_remove_artifact or friens, may be enough.

For jdk17, they will need to grow from 8 to 11 I'm afraid.

Correct, overwriting is is necessary to e allowed.

Thanx a lot for shsring the ideas.

J.

> Fabio

Jiri Vanek
Senior QE engineer, OpenJDK QE lead, Mgr.
Red Hat Czech
jvanek@xxxxxxxxxx    M: +420775390109