Re: Switching Maven and Ant to OpenJDK 11

On 28/10/2019 11:38, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 6:04 AM Andrew Dinn <adinn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 26/10/2019 15:33, Neal Gompa wrote:
>>> If anything, we're late to the party of moving to JDK 11 by default.
>>> Java 8 has been EOL for a while now.
>> Please do not spread misinformation like this. It is very unhelpful.
>>

> Okay, sure, paid support continues for two more years, but general
> (freely available) support for Java 8 ended in January.

What on earth is freely available support? That sounds about as easy to
obtain as a unicorn that farts rainbows.

If you mean a version of OpenJDK8 updated with security patches that is
free to download and use at your own risk on Linux or Windows then that
is still available and will be as long as Red Hat are maintaining their
LTS jdk8 releases (several years to go).

You get such a release free with all the usual Linux distros of course
(Debian, Ubuntu, Suse etc are all downstream from Red Hat and rely on
our code). However, you can also download releases from the AdoptOpenJDK
site. Note, those downloads are built by Red Hat's OpenJDK team so you
can rely on them being up to date with all the latest security patches
and critical fixes.

> For most of us peons, general support EOL is functionally equivalent
> to full EOL. That's why we end EPEL support on general support EOL
> dates, and not the more nebulous LTSS EOL dates.
I don't know what sort of a peon you are but your pronouncements don't
seem to be clarifying the situation. Perhaps you could just let those
who are involved in distributing OpenJDK tell people what is and isn't
available.

regards,

Andrew Dinn