Re: Switching Maven and Ant to OpenJDK 11

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 8:47 PM Miro Hrončok <mhroncok@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25. 10. 19 19:30, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Currently default Java runtime in Fedora is OpenJDK 8. This is not the
> > latest OpenJDK packaged, but still remains system-default version.
> > Because of that Apache Maven and Apache Ant in Fedora are built using
> > OpenJDK 8 and run on OpenJDK 8.
> >
> > I am planning to switch Maven 3.6 and Ant 1.10 modules to build with
> > and run on OpenJDK 11, which is the latest LTS release of OpenJDK.
> > This also means that future streams of javapackages-tools module will
> > default to use OpenJDK 11 for building packages. Please let me know if
> > you have any concerns.
>
> Hello, I am not very familiar with how Java works in this regard, but since this
> is the default stream etc., wouldn't it be wise to coordinate such change with a
> general OpenJDK 11 default Fedora system wide change?

It probably would, but I'm not aware of any existing change proposal
to switch default OpenJDK versions in Fedora.

> E.g. would the dependent OpenJDK 8 packages still build in stable releases if
> this change is done globally and for example if Ursa Major/Prime/... is activated?

Changing underlying OpenJDK version of maven:3.6 module doesn't change
anything with regards to building other packages. Right now nothing
build-depends on maven:3.6 module. And if Ursa-Major were enabled in
Fedora, most of ursine Java packages would become FTBFS anyway as
maven modules are not capable of building packages with. See below for
more details.

Since always Maven in Fedora was available in 2 flavors, each having
different purposes. "maven" module provides Maven application for end
users. This is pure upstream Maven that doesn't "know" how to access
libraries packaged as RPMs and included in Fedora. Therefore it is
mostly useless for building packages with and I am not aware of any
package in Fedora being built with this pure Maven. For purposes of
building packages "javapackages-tools" module is available - it
provides XMvn - Maven with extensions that enable it to be used for
building packages. It also provides RPM macros and other necessary
tools which are not available in "maven".

--
Mikolaj Izdebski