Re: Java build systems stop requiring java-devel

I've also seen cases where a package depended on a class from the build system's jar at runtime (especially ant and maven), but the user has no intention of using the build system to build anything... They just needed to satisfy the runtime dependency. So, overall, I think this makes sense.

On Sun, Jul 12, 2015, 23:44 Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07/13/2015 01:49 AM, Peter Larsen wrote:
> On Jul 10, 2015 8:39 AM, "Mikolaj Izdebski" <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Java build systems (Ant, Maven, Gradle) used to require "java-devel"
>> because their typical usages involves code compilation, which requires
>> full JDK.
>>
>> In Fedora 23 I've just replaced hard requirement on "java-devel" with
>> recommends.
>
> Why? Most builds require javac.

That's exactly my point - *most*, but not all.

> Unless you are only installing and not
> building why would you not want the java-devel?

Ant, Maven and Gradle are generic build systems. While they are
typically used for building Java projects, they are certainly capable of
more.

Some examples:
- Maven supports "toolkits", which allow you to compile project with
third-party JDK; in this case Maven can be ran with pure JRE
- Ant, Maven and Gradle can all be used to compile non-Java code (such as C)
- I've seen Ant scripts used for application deployment, which don't
compile anything, but download and copy files around
- Maven can also be used for app deployment (for eg. wildfly:deploy)
- I've seen Maven used for static website gerenation (convert Markdown
to HTML, apply templates, fetch CSS and _javascript_ resources from remote
repos, assemble WAR file)

and so on...

--
Mikolaj Izdebski