Re: Fedora 21 Eclipse m2e-wtp plug-in package

On 15/02/15 19:13, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
> Hi Gerard,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> Gerard Ryan wrote:
>> A good idea might be to have a look at some existing packages that are
>> similar. For example, some other m2e packages exist in Fedora[3].
>
> I guess I should try building one of the existing packages and maybe use
> its spec file as a starting point.

Yes, this is a great idea. Like with anything, the more good examples
you see, the more you'll understand what you'll need to do (and how easy
it's now becoming!).

> I've come across multiple projects like the Maven RPM plug-in, but also
> an RPM plug-in for Eclipse. I wonder if these also (can) play a part in
> the process of packaging specifically Eclipse plug-ins for Fedora.

At the moment, none of these things are used for packages in the main
Fedora repos. As you'll see from the documentation though, it's probably
easier than that though, once you get used to the relevant RPM macros
for maven projects.

>> Are you already a Fedora packager, or do you have any other experience
>> with RPM packaging?
>
> My only experience with RPM packaging is building exists spec files and
> source RPMs with rpmbuild and some minor tweaks. I did once create some
> spec files from scratch, but that was around 10 years ago.

Cool, so you have a little exposure. There's a plugin package called
eclipse-fedorapackager. It's not specific to Eclipse/Java
packaging...it's useful for all packaging in Fedora, especially when
you're familiar with the IDE already.

The #fedora-java channel on Freenode IRC, or here on this mailing list
are great places to come if you run into any problems or have any
questions while packaging it :)

Gerard.