Re: Fedora 21 Eclipse m2e-wtp plug-in package

On 15/02/15 16:58, Julius Schwartzenberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying out the Fedora 21 Eclipse builds and I'm quite impressed with
> all the things which can be cleanly installed through Yum/RPM!

Hi Julius,

That's great that everything is working easily for you, and that you
want to help make it better!

> However it appears that the m2e-wtp (1) plug-in hasn't been packaged
> yet. It is the only missing piece for building and running Maven
> projects in (at least) Tomcat in Fedora 21 out of the box.
>
> Am I correct that such a package is currently unavailable at all? Would
> it be possible for me to contribute such a package? Is there any guide
> available on creating RPMs for Eclipse plug-ins?

You're correct that there isn't a Fedora package for m2e-wtp yet. I
think it would be great if you added it.

I'm not aware of any Eclipse specific packaging documentation (maybe
someone else will point us in the right direction for this), but m2e-wtp
is built using maven, and there's lots of documentation on that.

The main Java packaging guidelines page is available at [1], and there's
also a great HowTo page[2].

A good idea might be to have a look at some existing packages that are
similar. For example, some other m2e packages exist in Fedora[3].

Are you already a Fedora packager, or do you have any other experience
with RPM packaging?

Regards,
Gerard.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java