Re: Eclipse Luna on Fedora 21 and JDK 8 requirement

On 18 November 2014 13:06, Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

Well, what we could do is rethink the policy about not packaging currently
supported JDKs, just because they are expected to not have further updates
at some future time. That policy's going to bite us anyway, if the pace of
Java ever reaches a point where a version of Java is released *and* EOL'd
during the same window (hypothetically, Java 8 is expected to EOL during
F22, and Java 9 is expected to be released and EOL'd during F22; would that
mean F22 cannot include any Java version?).

Personally, I like the idea of shipping the latest as default, and the next
most recent (so long as it is currently supported) as available as an
SDK/devel package and just stop updating it when there aren't any more
upstream updates and drop it from the next release.

So do you also sign for doing the work needed incl. the security fixes and etc.?

No I'm not and neither are you for any other non-maintained packages that might get disbanded are you ?

I'm asking to understand how things tend to work since it just seems weird we don't try at least be as
broadly compatible as we can by i.e. setting default target to java7.

We mostly try to respect the compile settings used by the individual upstream projects.

If there is a non-Eclipse package that contains java 8 bytecode that you think doesn't need to contain java 8 bytecode due to poorly chosen or missing compilation settings, then please open a bug with a patch and if you CC me, I can probably find time to apply it.

One or two Eclipse bundles contain java 8 bytecode, but this is intentional and the OSGi runtime should exclude these if you run Eclipse on java 7.

One part is the compile setting, the other is what runtime is supported. Those does not need to absolutely
match up 1-to-1.

There is no policy that we should ship only single JDK as far as I know, it's a result of the resources available from my POV. To keep it on Eclipse side even if two JDKs are available in fedora I would test and target only the latest one with Eclipse unless someone joins to share the burden of verifying it works on the other one.

Sure, but right now the default setup prevents even testing out with Java 7.

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen