Re: /usr/lib/jni support in Fedora

On 07/30/2014 11:39 AM, Andrew Haley wrote:

Ideally we'd want to have this discussion with Java upstream.

Okay, I can bring it up there, but I'm not sure yet what Fedora's needs are, so I think it's premature to bring it up upstream.

Depending on a Fedora-local patch to the search path means that if
people build their own OpenJDK or install Oracle Java, their programs
will stop working.  So, we must not do that.

I suspect that using a JDK not packaged by us needs a changed invocation of the launcher anyway, and throwing the appropriate -Djava.library.path= setting would only be a minor complication, compared to all the other things that aren't quite right by default.

If a symlink at /usr/java/packages/lib/amd64 to wherever is allowable,
and I see no reason why it should not be, then we don't need to patch
OpenJDK.  We could make /usr/java/packages/lib/amd64 a real directory,
and populate it with symlinks to the packages or make it just a
symlink to /usr/lib64/jni ; again, I don't think it matters.

If there's consensus to introduce /usr/lib64/jni with compatiblity symlinks under /usr/java/packages/lib, then we don't need any upstream changes, just a java-filesystem package which installs the symbolic links, and a change to the Java packaging guidelines.

Debian uses (or will soon use) multiarch paths, and these seem difficult to compute outside of a Debian environment, which is why I believe that changing the upstream default to include appropriate /usr/lib/jni directories could be challenging. Maybe we could just use the non-multiarch directories, and Debian can keep patching the defaults, but that doesn't seem ideal to me, either.