Re: /usr/lib/jni support in Fedora

On 29/07/14 12:05, Florian Weimer wrote:

> As far as I can tell, currently, System.loadLibrary() is mostly
> unusable for Java libraries because they cannot influence the
> library search path.  If you want to transparently load a DSO, you
> need to use System.load() and hard-code the path.  This probably
> means patching upstream sources.
>
> Debian patches the default search path so that System.loadLibrary()
> searches /usr/lib/jni for DSOs with native code.  This means that
> classes which call System.loadLibrary() just work, assuming that the
> Debian package installs its DSOs into /usr/lib/jni.
>
> Can we do something similar in Fedora?  We probably want
> /usr/lib/jni and /usr/lib64/jni, for consistency with the rest of
> the system.
>
> The upstream default search path starts with
> "/usr/java/packages/lib/amd64" (and variants for other
> architectures), but this isn't mentioned in the Fedora guidelines.
> I'm also not sure if we want to use this file system location
> because it doesn't look particularly FHS-compliant.  But the
> proprietary JDKs could install a symlink there so that
> /usr/lib{,64}/jni is searched as well.

Ideally we'd want to have this discussion with Java upstream.

Depending on a Fedora-local patch to the search path means that if
people build their own OpenJDK or install Oracle Java, their programs
will stop working.  So, we must not do that.

If a symlink at /usr/java/packages/lib/amd64 to wherever is allowable,
and I see no reason why it should not be, then we don't need to patch
OpenJDK.  We could make /usr/java/packages/lib/amd64 a real directory,
and populate it with symlinks to the packages or make it just a
symlink to /usr/lib64/jni ; again, I don't think it matters.

Andrew.