Re: Javadoc packages

* Mikolaj Izdebski <mizdebsk@xxxxxxxxxx> [2014-02-20 13:09]:
> We'll have to move to Java 8 in Fedora sooner or later.  I did some
> testing of Maven and Ant stacks regards that and most of things seem
> to be working well, except for javadoc.
>
> Java 8 has a very strict parser for javadocs, and any error or nuisance
> causes build failure -- almost all packages fail to build with Java 8
> due to various errors in javadocs.
>
> In some cases we can probably fix javadoc problems and forward patches
> upstream, but we have many legacy packages for which we can't push any
> patches upstream.  I don't see how in reality we can fix all packages
> we have.  The only good solution I can think of is disabling javadocs.
>
> My proposal is making javadoc subpackages optional, which means that
> for some Java packages they could be disabled depending on maintainer
> decision.  Legacy packages with dead upstreams would be able to
> disable javadocs (no one should try to develop anything depending on
> such packages, so that's perfectly OK IMO).  For packages which have
> active upstreams we can fix javadocs and forward patches, or disable
> javadoc packages, report the problem upstream and wait for them to fix
> it.

We (Red Hat's OpenJDK/Java team) have been talking about this for the
past few days as well. One other solution that comes to mind is to
disable doclint in the default OpenJDK8 build for Fedora.

This is really an issue that should be fixed in the upstream packages,
and disabling javadocs is just masking the problem. So given that, how
about we disable doclint for a year and give upstreams time to fix it?
Whatever continues to fail after that can then be fixed either in our
packages or javadocs for those can be disabled.

Thoughts?

Deepak