Re: Packaging tomcat shell scripts

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM, Robert Rati <rrati@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I should mention that I'd actually tested the functionality and done all the
> work needed for this piece of functionality to make it into hadoop.  The

What have you tested exactly ? Have you manually added catalina.sh &co
somewhere on your system and tested your package ?

> missing piece is the tomcat shell scripts.  If those are packaged then I
> just need to do a little work and I can include the functionality in hadoop.

How little ? Have you tried to replace catalina.sh in httpfs.sh [1] ?

-exec ${HTTPFS_CATALINA_HOME}/bin/catalina.sh "$@"
+exec /usr/sbin/tomcat "$@"

And maybe set a proper TOMCAT_CFG environment variable pointing to the
config for this very package.

> The same work will be needed for other parts of the hadoop ecosystem.
>
> Rob

Where can I find a spec with your current work (and a testing
procedure) to understand better the problem ? Btw, I'm not the tomcat
maintainer, just a regular tomcat user, this is just my opinion. As I
said earlier, the catalina.sh file is part of the upstream all-in-one-dir
bundles. I don't think catalina.sh is in Fedora's tomcat package, it's
also not in Debian's [2] tomcat6 and tomcat7 packages.

Dridi

[1] https://github.com/apache/hadoop-common/blob/1f2a21f/hadoop-hdfs-project/hadoop-hdfs-httpfs/src/main/sbin/httpfs.sh
[2] http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/tomcat6/filelist
    http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/all/tomcat7/filelist