Re: Why no Class-Path manifest attribute?

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013, David Walluck wrote:

On 06/20/2013 11:31 AM, Mat Booth wrote:
Everyone should just use OSGI ;-)

Ugh, quoted the entire message to add one line...

In any case, OSGi has Bundle-ClassPath (as well as directives such as
Embed-Dependency in maven-bundle-blugin).

And this is better how? Or is it just a new way to perform the same bad
tricks?

OSGi covers some similar linking problems. And, because it exists, it has many proponents. But it is far from being the best solution for the problems typically faced by operating system distributions containing Java components. I would say it's not the best solution for many other problems either, but I don't really want to engage in that particular argument at this time. :)

Solutions like JBoss Modules and Jigsaw are specifically designed to solve this class of problems. Though the soonest we'll see any module solution in Java is going to be JDK 9, not JDK 8.

--
- DML