Re: Installing effective Maven POM files

Quoting Aleksandar Kurtakov (2013-02-20 16:10:40)

> > Question for Alex:
> > I assume you care about Eclipse stack not using effective poms
> > correct? It's
> > unlikely that apache-commons-parent will cause issues since they
> > don't change
> > your settings (i.e. you are not inheriting from them) and it's pretty
> > stable. Is
> > there any example outside of Eclipse parent chain which would cause
> > you issues
> > if they used effective poms?
>
> You do understand that I don't have that deep knowledge in other stacks to
> answer that question. It's definetely a problem in Eclipse stack and something
> you don't care about in Maven stack but none of us knows about others.

Fair enough. For what it's worth I believe parent poms are rarely receiving such
high churn of breaking changes as you are seeing in Eclipse right now.

> > Eclipse packages are not using mvn_install macro so they are not
> > affected at all
> > (i.e. you are still installing raw poms) and relying on OSGI auto
> > requires
> > instead of Maven auto requires. Or am I missing something?
>
> This goes against having guidelines at all- if we have maven guidelines we
> need to move in direction making it suitable for everyone (incl. Eclipse). I
> would like to see Eclipse plugins using the same technique as others using
> Maven so make them rely on the same macros (even if we would have to develop
> some maven plugins/extensions for that). We got really close to that state
> with mvn-rpmbuild so diverging now would be a step back.

Right, I do believe extending XMvn for use with Eclipse is not that hard to do.
Which is something mvn-rpmbuild could never achieve since it was one big hack.
And I *do* believe that XMvn would be the best way to handle this in the future. My
question was about current state of affairs. I.e. while you keep using
mvn-rpmbuild the issue is not affecting you and in the meantime we can work on a
solution(s) to this in more specialized way. I.e. develop additional XMvn plugin
for use in eclipse packaging or whatnot.

> > Question for Alex:
> > Would optional installation of raw pom instead of effective with
> > specific
> > warning that maintainer is responsible for updating proper requires
> > be
> > acceptable? While you ponder the answer, realize there are ~500
> > packages that
> > use Maven, most of them are not Eclipse related and thus would likely
> > benefit
> > from proper automatic requires even if Eclipse doesn't.
>
> No, what would be acceptable though is having a marker in the parent pom package that this parent should never be embedded.

Hmm, ok that sounds like workable solution at first glance (to me at least).

> Still one question will stay open - diverging from upstream more than we did
> before with the patched maven. I know I haven't answered Mikolaj's question
> about upstream usability but many of us do use mvn-local to do upstream work
> and benefit from the Fedora system integration which would be irrecoverably
> lost as having different poms from maven central in our ~/.m2 would be a no
> go.

It's just hard for me to justify honoring exact upstream replicas of pom.xml
files when we actually ignore most of the versions in there. I believe
installing raw poms alongside effective would not help your case at all. But we
*could* have both and have xmvn be able to switch between them just for sake of
testing with upstream versions. That seems like an amazing way to complicate
things though...

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>

PGP: 7B087241