Re: What is the current Fedora / JPackage relationship?

On 12/28/2009 02:19 AM, Alexander Kurtakov wrote:

What is the general guidance for java packages on Fedora?  Should a java
user/developer go to JPackage for all their java needs (a la RPMFusion
for your binary graphics drivers and patent encumbered codecs), or
should Fedora itself be packaging everything that is needed?  Do any
Fedora packages also contribute to JPackage?  Furthermore, for the more
pressing issue of severely outdated dependencies, should we be rebasing
to the current JPackage, updating the existing specs, or creating new,
modernized specs to update the packages?
I would say that most of the active Java Fedora packagers have the same
relationship with JPackage as with Debian - we just take what/when/if we need
and let other maintainers do the same when we are better.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was confused by some of the wiki pages as to whether the approach was to get whatever people want/need into Fedora or as a default point them to JPackage.

Java packages in Fedora has grown to a big number but in a different direction
- JPackage is working more on server-side things while work in Fedora is more
for end-users/developers e.g. Eclipse, Netbeans, OOo, IntelliJ Idea (Fedora 13
feature) and KDE/Nepomuk/Soprano integration (slowly advancing
).

I guess that leads to the next question (which may be best for another thread)... Do we want to package up libraries as a supporting item to the Java development tools we currently ship? How far down the road of serverside java development/deployment do we want to go?

Aaron