What is the current Fedora / JPackage relationship?

I've been looking to package up some java web frameworks and tools, but I've run into the issue of the fedora versions of some components being practically ancient, e.g. jakarta-commons-fileupload. Now, this package was originally forked from JPackage, but appears to have stagnated in Fedora as opposed to JPackage which has continued on and has an up-to-date version in their repository.

What is the general guidance for java packages on Fedora? Should a java user/developer go to JPackage for all their java needs (a la RPMFusion for your binary graphics drivers and patent encumbered codecs), or should Fedora itself be packaging everything that is needed? Do any Fedora packages also contribute to JPackage? Furthermore, for the more pressing issue of severely outdated dependencies, should we be rebasing to the current JPackage, updating the existing specs, or creating new, modernized specs to update the packages?

Thanks,
Aaron