Re: [fedora-java] Netbeans 5.0-beta2 , Sun Application Server 8.1 and Java-gcj

Hi John,

You won't, because the GCJ packages included with Fedora is not yet a fully-compliant Java2 implementation. Most Swing applications won't work at all. I don't know if Sun AS 8.1 would work with GCJ but I'd guess it won't. Anyway Sun software expects to find a Sun Java SDK, not a GCJ-based one, and so their install scripts and startup scripts won't work without some tweaking.

Tomcat should work fine with GCJ (but not without some configuration hacking) and JonAS seem to work for EJB support.

[]s, Fernando Lozano

All,

Not wanting to "pile on" on the thread from Dan Thurman, but I am unable
to install the Netbeans 5.0 beta2 + AS 8.1 with java-gcj-compat
installed (one single download & install from Sun).  I can get the
Netbeans portion of the install to run fine, but the AS 8.1 portion
refuses to recognize a valid location for the JDK.

Is this also a problem with AS8.1 not following the FHS?  Or am I not
pointing the the proper directory for the JDK?

I can get Netbeans to generate and work with stand-alone Java apps just
fine.  I just can't get an Application Server to work to provide
servlets and EJBs.

Thanks.

John