Re: [fedora-java] recommendations for coexistence with Sun-jre

Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

On 6/17/05, Thomas Fitzsimmons wrote:
On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 11:54 -0400, Zlatin Balevsky wrote:
Is there an officially supported/recommended way of having Sun java
coexist with the -compat?
Yes, we recommend creating a Sun JPackage RPM, then installing that.
All the java tools in /usr/bin will then point to Sun's Java
implementation.

And in case you're unfamiliar with JPackage, that's easy to do; a quick
paraphrase of http://jpackage.org/rebuilding.php:

1. Download and install the nosrc rpm http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=2546

2. Put the Sun package in your rpmbuild/SOURCES

3. rpmbuild -ba rpmbuild/SPECS/java....spec

4. enjoy your RPMs in rpmbuild/RPMS/

5. Add your name and a comments to http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4680244.html to get Sun to produce reasonable RPMs in the first place!