Re: Changing file system for Cloud images to ext4, xfs or something custom

On Wed, Apr 10, 2024 at 10:54 AM Tadej Janež <tadej.j@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 2024-04-09 at 10:00 -0400, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 9, 2024 at 9:53 AM Tadej Janež <tadej.j@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey Fedora Cloud WG!
> > >
> > > Firstly, thanks for providing Fedora for the popular cloud
> > > providers!
> > >
> > > Since Fedora 35, the Fedora Cloud images use btrfs by default [1].
> > > For my deployments, I would like to use ext4 or xfs, so my question
> > > are:
> > > 1) Is it possible to change the root file system at deploy time?
> > > 2) If not, how could one change the cloud images to use a different
> > > root file system?
> > >

> > It is not possible to change at deployment time, you would need to
> > build your own custom images.
> >

> Ok, thanks for clarifying!
>
> > Our images are now defined here:
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-kiwi-descriptions/blob/rawhide/f/teams/cloud/cloud.xml
> >
> > If you want to use something else, you'd want to have your own
> > version
> > of the definitions and modify that file to use the filesystem of your
> > choice.
>
> I see, one would need to modify the "filesystem" key of the selected
> Cloud-Base-<provider> image.
>
> Are there instructions on how to build a custom cloud image?

The repository README includes a quickstart section for building your
own images.

> However, even if I can easily build a custom cloud image, the overhead
> of maintaining custom cloud images is very high.
>
> For every Fedora release and cloud provider, I would need to build the
> image and then with IaC (e.g. Terraform), handle uploading the custom
> image and using it...

Yeah, it is more overhead, for sure.

> > Is there a particular reason you want to use ext4 or xfs for your
> > rootfs? Typically the pattern we see is that people attach a
> > secondary
> > volume or use S3 and put their data on that instead of the rootfs.
> >

> Yes, I use that pattern as well. Usually, /srv or /var would be on a
> separate block storage and formatted with the file system of choice.
>
> The reasons why I would want to use, e.g. ext4 for the rootfs, would
> be:
>
> 1. Familiarity. I've mainly been using ext4 or LVM+ext4 (with LUKS
> underneath) for the last 2 decades. I know the tools and I know what
> "care" such filesystems need.
>
> 2. Maturity. Ext2/3/4 have been round for quite longer than btrfs and
> there are very little "unknowns" or "surprises" with it.
>
> 3. Simplicity. When provisioning machines with a cloud provider, I
> actually don't need the LVM+ext4 combination because the cloud provider
> would typically handle the things LVM would handle for a non-cloud
> machine, e.g. increasing the block storage size, snapshotting, ...
>
> Please, don't read this as a critique against btrfs, just me trying to
> explain why I would find it nicer to just use ext4 for the rootfs as
> well.

That's totally fair. I will point out that one of the big reasons we
use Btrfs is actually to enable space efficiency (which can lead to
cost savings across the board). The used storage is roughly 40% less
than on ext4 due to leveraging both transparent compression and
reflinks.

The other reason is to make it easy to do replication for backups and
other purposes.

You may also find it to be beneficial for easily avoiding certain
kinds of failure cases that can happen on ext4 (such as inode
exhaustion with containers), since btrfs dynamically allocates inodes
per subvolume.

You can also grow (and shrink!) the volume live while the system is
mounted and online safely.