Re: Announce: Fedora Layered Image Release

On Mon, May 08, 2017 at 01:59:36PM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 6:55 AM, Jan Pazdziora <jpazdziora@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:39:22PM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>     On behalf of the Fedora Atomic WG[0] and Fedora Release
> >> Engineering[1], I am pleased to announce the latest Fedora Layered
> >> Image Release. This follows the latest Atomic Host Release that came
> >> out yesterday[2].
> >>
> >> At this time the following Container Images are available in the
> >> Fedora Registry.
> >>

> >> Base Images:
> >>
> >> (Note that the "latest" tag currently points to "25" and the "rawhide"
> >> tag currently points to "27", if no tag is provided in your pull
> >> command then it will always default to "latest")
> >>
> >> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:latest
> >> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:rawhide
> >> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:27
> >
> > The current registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:rawhide and
> > registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:27 image 202b880ac136 says it's
> > 7 weeks old,
> >
> >> registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:26
> >
> > Fedora 26 image is 4 months old.
> >
> > What are the plans for respining these images on regular basis?
> > Especially the development "releases" tend to change quite heaving and
> > if we do not want to encourage the use of
> >
> >         RUN dnf upgrade -y
> >
> > in every Dockerfile, we might want to make it easy for people to
> > consume fresh content.
> >
> > Incidently, registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:25 is rather new, just
> > 13 days old.
>
> Yes, the current stable is planned to be respun on a two-week average.
> The others as well but they aren't priority right now. There's an
> automation process in the works and once that is done then all of
> these will happen automatically.

One problem with the current Fedora 26 image is that it enables
rawhide repo and not the 26 development repo. So anybody using that
image to build something which installs additional packages will get
Fedora 27, not Fedora 26 packages installed.

Could the registry.fedoraproject.org/fedora:26 be respun to point to
the correct Fedora 26 package source?

Thank you,

--
Jan Pazdziora
Senior Principal Software Engineer, Identity Management Engineering, Red Hat