[atomic-wg] Issue #234 `Container guidelines for containers with volumes`

jhogarth reported a new issue against the project: `atomic-wg` that you are following:
``
To protect persistent data it's common to use a VOLUME in the Dockerfile to automatically generate and mount a volume for the container on the host.

Best practice when running these containers should be to used a named volume at that point to ensure persistent when the container is updated.

If VOLUME is not in the Dockerfile then there is a risk of data loss on container updates with an admin not paying attention to which data should be persistent.

I'd suggest we should allow VOLUME in the guidelines for the container maintainer to be clear what is considered important data that must be persisted but we should have a way of making it clear what should be declared at runtime.

An example would be the owncloud container review request which makes the httpd and owncloud configuration directories volumes for persistence and allow customisation, and makes the owncloud data directory a volume to prevent data loss.
``

To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/234