Re: [atomic-wg] Issue #138 `Produce updated cloud base images monthly`

On Fri, Feb 03, 2017 at 06:20:09PM +0000, Dusty Mabe wrote:

> dustymabe added a new comment to an issue you are following:
> ``
> A few users have been requesting this as of late: [mail thread] (https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/cloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/IADTY4BL3M3YBL7QKOTYNRR54DOP6XHB/)
>
> @mattdm had some questions in [this mail](https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/cloud@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/SOKIJOG2XKAP6G6SHS3LA2QA7T5WUOH5/) copying them here:
>
> So, we are already _making_ these; you can see them at
> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/autocloud/compose — they're currently
> under a compose ID with "Atomic" in the name, but AIUI that's going to
> be split out. (I was worried that these might not include updates, but
> that's fixed.)
>
> Let's make a list of what needs to happen... here's what I can think
> of:
>
> 1.  Decide if we are okay with the level of automated testing these are
>     getting, or if we need human testing, or if we need more automated
>     testing
>
> 2.  If we need more automated tests, someone needs to sign up for that
>
> 3. If we need human testing, someone needs to sign up to write the
>     release criteria

     Much of this would be already covered in the current criteria, we
     just would need to specify which criteria we consider to be
     blocking. Those criteria can be found on the wiki [0]. These would
     also impact the automated testing. We can write tests around the
     criteria we're wanting to use. We currently do that with the openQA
     tests.

> 4. And, someone would need to commit to doing the validation every
>     time.
>
> 4. Work with release engineering and infrastructure to adapt the Atomic
>    Host gating/release process for Cloud Base
>
> 5. Work with release engineering to get updated images to mirrors and
>    stuff
>
> 6. Someone needs to sign up to update the Vagrant Atlas index
>
> 7. Work with websites to update cloud.fedoraproject.org to also offer
>    updated images. (I'm thinking the page should default to the latest,
>    but there should be some way to "scroll back" all the way to the GA
>    releases.)
>
> 8. Decide if we want to switch Cloud Base entirely to this
>    automatic process and eschew release milestones

     If we decide to not follow the typical release milestones, we can
     still have our list of "blocker" criteria we test against to
     determine if an update gets releaseed.

> I'm sure I'm missing something -- what else should be added?
> ``

     I don't think anything here is missing. We should note however,
     that signing up for testing/updating doesn't imply a life long
     commitment, as many of these things will be covered by automated
     testing *eventually*.

> To reply, visit the link below or just reply to this email
> https://pagure.io/atomic-wg/issue/138

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_26_Alpha_Release_Criteria
(also make sure to check Beta and Final)

// Mike
--
Fedora QA