Re: Fedora Cloud Edition next steps (→ Container Cluster!)

On Jun 15, 2016 5:58 PM, "Matthew Miller" <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you spell out those two use cases? I'd find that really helpful. Do
> you think one could be served by a subset of the other, or is it really
> two separate deliverables?

I see folks looking at PaaS and a "cluster to run containers" as separate but related use cases.

PaaS folks are looking for the full developer experience, cluster abstraction from the user, and aren't as interested in running arbitrary containers or pods.  They are generally looking for a way to improve dev cycles.

The container cluster folks want a way to effectively manage containers and pods from anywhere, including self developed and ISV or project related. They want a better set of tools that don't completely eliminate the cluster view.  They may use different tools to build images like Ansible or Chef.

I do think that the PaaS is a superset, the cluster manager tooling could be super helpful for operational underpinning of PaaS. A lot of those tools are CLI or missing in Origin today. Like how do I manage nodes to understand when to add more and "rerun ansible playbook" isn't necessarily the best cluster management experience.

Not sure if that's clearer or if I just repeated myself.  But I can see an easy line between cluster operations and developer interfaces.

- Matt M