Re: Fedora Cloud Edition next steps (→ Container Cluster!)

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 12:07 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Previously (at last year's Flock and after), we've talked about
> replacing the Fedora Cloud Edition with Fedora Atomic Edition. (See
> previous discussion on this list if you're unfamiliar with this
> decision and its rationale.)
>
> We hadn't actually had much movement on _doing_ that, though, so one of
> the goals of last week's Cloud WG FAD was to take the next concrete
> steps. But, it turned out that everyone in the room (and
> teleconferenced in) felt pretty strongly that we actually should go
> even further — not just a single container host, but a full container
> cluster solution based on OpenShift Origin. So, rather than letting
> _that_ linger, let's work on the next steps for _that_.

Surprising.

> Roughly, I see that as:
>
> 1. Make sure we have agreement from the current Cloud WG members who
>    couldn't be there. We don't want to make big decisions like this
>    entirely in a room somewhere without full community input.
>
> 2. Reformulate WG members to match new target; possibly some of the
>    current WG members are more interested in other aspects of cloud
>    computing, like continuing work on the Cloud Base image. That's
>    absolutely fine (beyond fine - it's awesome!), but the whole point
>    of the WG structure is to support the editions.
>
> 3. Pick a name! I know, it's bikeshed painting to some degree, but it
>    really is actually important. Possibilities include:
>
>    - Fedora Container Cluster Edition
>    - Fedora OpenShift Edition
>    - Fedora Atomic Cluster Edition
>    - Fedora Some New Entire Name We Create Edition
>
>    and all have their plusses and minuses.
>
> 4. Update governance documents: that's:
>    - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Cloud_PRD
>    - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Governance
>
> 5. Submit the general idea to the Council for approval to change
>    Editions (I don't anticipate this being more than a rubber stamp,
>    but we should definitely get that stamp.)

When you do this, can you make sure to elaborate on why moving to
Atomic+Openshift Origin is good for Fedora, what benefits it brings,
and where that leaves other Fedora efforts around Cloud (and even
Atomic Host)?  While that might all be self-evident to the Cloud WG
members, it won't be to the entire Council and most definitely will
not be to the greater Fedora ecosystem.

> 6. Submit any (probably several) Change requests to FESCo for required
>    technical changes, and work with Design, Rel-Eng, QA, and etc. on
>    those.

I'm curious to see what those might be.

josh