Re: Fedora Cloud Edition next steps (→ Container Cluster!)

On 06/15/2016 11:07 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
Previously (at last year's Flock and after), we've talked about
replacing the Fedora Cloud Edition with Fedora Atomic Edition. (See
previous discussion on this list if you're unfamiliar with this
decision and its rationale.)

We hadn't actually had much movement on _doing_ that, though, so one of
the goals of last week's Cloud WG FAD was to take the next concrete
steps. But, it turned out that everyone in the room (and
teleconferenced in) felt pretty strongly that we actually should go
even further — not just a single container host, but a full container
cluster solution based on OpenShift Origin. So, rather than letting
_that_ linger, let's work on the next steps for _that_.

This is awesome. I've already created a simple one off blog post using Fedora 24 & Origin on AWS as a single host. I'd like to continue iterating through that into a cluster.

Roughly, I see that as:

1. Make sure we have agreement from the current Cloud WG members who
    couldn't be there. We don't want to make big decisions like this
    entirely in a room somewhere without full community input.

I'm onboard.

2. Reformulate WG members to match new target; possibly some of the
    current WG members are more interested in other aspects of cloud
    computing, like continuing work on the Cloud Base image. That's
    absolutely fine (beyond fine - it's awesome!), but the whole point
    of the WG structure is to support the editions.

3. Pick a name! I know, it's bikeshed painting to some degree, but it
    really is actually important. Possibilities include:

    - Fedora Container Cluster Edition
    - Fedora OpenShift Edition
    - Fedora Atomic Cluster Edition
    - Fedora Some New Entire Name We Create Edition

    and all have their plusses and minuses.

4. Update governance documents: that's:
    - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Cloud_PRD
    - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Governance

5. Submit the general idea to the Council for approval to change
    Editions (I don't anticipate this being more than a rubber stamp,
    but we should definitely get that stamp.)

6. Submit any (probably several) Change requests to FESCo for required
    technical changes, and work with Design, Rel-Eng, QA, and etc. on
    those.