Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 12:44 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM, Adam Williamson
> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 11:43 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > > if a dracut i686 build fails the dracut build fails and nothing changes, the
> > > compose is not blocked.  your view here is not quite the reality of the world.
> > > moving i686 to secondary does not change that.
> >
> > well, wait, moving i686 to secondary *does* change that, doesn't it? If
> > i686 is secondary, and a dracut i686 build fails, then the dracut
> > x86_64 and armhfp builds will still get tagged, right? Just like right
> > now, if dracut fails to build on aarch64 but succeeds on the primary
> > arches, those primary arch builds get tagged.
>
> No, because we still need i686 in x86_64 multilib because of some
> proprietary "stuff" (no idea, I don't use it)

Oh, right, so in theory it would, except multilib complicates things.
Makes sense.

> > > particullary in the way releng
> > > is looking to redefine secondary arches.
> >
> > I would like to read more about this 'redefinition'. Where can I?
>
> In Flock Rochester talks. It was discussed in Dennis's rel-eng talk,
> that should all be on video, and in the hallway quite widely where I
> discussed it with a lot of groups/individuals.
>
> Basically for example it currently makes sense to say promote aarch64
> for server but not workstation (although that's starting to actually
> move somewhere) and cloud so how do you define primary and secondary?
> Well basically you remove koji from that definition and define it on
> the product outputs. With i686 discussing/doing this for cloud/server
> that is already basically happening. This is already done internally
> for brew (internal brew for those that don't know) where all
> architectures are built in the one build system.

I'm fine with that, but if we're going to do that, I'd rather retire
the 'primary' / 'secondary' terms as I think they'd only cause
confusion.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey