Re: Putting Networkd on cloud Atomic and base image for F24

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 23:30:48 +0530
Kushal Das <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This email is to resume the discussion on putting Networkd as network
> stack in Fedora Cloud Atomic and base images. During Fedora 23 release
> we had some discussion on the same. I made couple of images [1], and
> also AMI on AWS [2], so that people can play around.
>
> Major Hayden did some excellent write up [3] [4] [5] about Networkd in
> Fedora [6].
>
> Last time when we discussed this issue, one of the major concern was
> QA cycle. We all know how much overloaded the QA team is. Now we have
> some level of automated testing (increasing regularly), and also a new
> volunteer group from the Cloud SIG to help by doing manual QA on the
> images. If we can make a list of things to be tested (or what all
> tests are currently being done) on the network stack for current
> Fedora releases, we all can help in, and make sure that the images
> with this new feature get proper testing.
>
> "Features", and "First" are part of our four foundations. I personally
> think putting Networkd on our cloud images will certainly help us to
> grow the features where latest technology is involved.

It kinda sounds like this is going ahead so I'll switch to asking
questions. I'm still concerned about the amount of testing that will be
required and how all of that will be covered.

Are there plans to create the new documentation needed for how to use
networkd on cloud images? What about other tutorials etc. that work
with NM? How will the communication around "cloud networking is
different from other Fedora projects"?

My remaining questions (some of which are answered indirectly but I
think it'd help the change process to have them answered clearly in one
place) are:

 - what benefit does the cloud image stand to gain from switching to
   networkd?
 - what are the risks of switching to networkd?
 - what test cases are needed to cover this change and which are
   already in place?
 - what is the list of tasks which need to be done to make this work?
 - what are the deadlines for having everything in place (initial
   build, last chance to back out etc.)?
 - what are the criteria for determining whether the switch to networkd
   sticks or not?
 - why is this an overall benefit to Fedora?

Tim