Re: Why I'm excited about Atomic for Fedora

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 08:23:59PM -0400, Bruce Harrison wrote:
> Although I just downloaded the Fedora Cloud, I want to test it and,
> if it is what I am looking for, let some of my customers who live on
> DeskTone, give this a test drive from a fast thumb drive on a laptop
> or even a modified Chromebook. These people are attorneys and real
> estate professionals that need the dependability of the cloud without
> Redmond controlling how they use the vehicle to get there - something
> lean and mean.

Hi Bruce. If I understand you, Fedora Cloud Base is *not* what you're
looking for, although we may have something in Fedora. First, I know of
several people doing their own "desktop as a service" based on Fedora,
including at least one law firm. That might interest you as a possible
replacement for Desktone, if that's what you're looking for.

But it sounds also like what you're looking for is a hosted file /
calendar / etc sync-and-share server — what people think of as cloud
services like Google Drive and etc. We have several things in the
greater Fedora universe that might fit that bill, and running ownCloud
— possibly on top of the Fedora Cloud Base image, or on Fedora Atomic —
might indeed fill that need.

The Fedora Cloud edition downloads, however, won't give you this out of
the box. (It might be something we want as a Fedora Server role in the
future, though.)

I think that overall, this might be another reason for demphasizing
"Cloud" as a Fedora edition. When we use the term, we mean it in the
sense of cloud computing — on-demand self service, broad network
access, resource pooling, elasticity, and measured service. And the
Fedora Cloud image is just one part of the picture. It's an operating
system meant to run inside an IaaS — infrastructure as a service —
cloud provider, like Amazon EC2 or an OpenStack or Eucalyptus instance
you configure yourself (see https://www.rdoproject.org/ or
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/cloud/helion-eucalyptus.html). You could then
use that to build up a Platform as a Service (on which you could run
Software as a Service), or any other "XaaS" — including file storage
and sync. But we don't currently have a turnkey solution for that.

But, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Can you explain your needs a
little more fully?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>