Re: Mo's proposed fedora atomic logo

On 09/15/2015 05:10 PM, Haïkel wrote:

If I didn't already know about the cloud base image as its own
WG and such, I would have looked for it as a variant of the Server
product.

It makes sense (that's why we support the cattle-to-pet scenario), but
server folks are focusing towards a different segment.
If you read about bimodal IT (thanks Gartner for feeding me with funny
buzzwords), server is focusing to traditional IT (mode 1) and cloud to
agile IT (mode 2).

Depending how things evolve around containers, we might consider that
cloud should solely focus on Atomic and maybe transfer ownership of
the classic image to server WG. But this is too early for considering
this.
After all, we decided to make Atomic primary to boost it, and refine
our story around it.

I think we're over-estimating where users are in the "magic bi-modal IT devops agile transformation quadrant" (which I hear Gartner is calling it now).

I think there's a fairly close mapping from where users are in the adoption cycle to what page they need to get to.

Early adopters -> Atomic
Early majority -> Cloud/Server
Late majority/long tail -> Server/Workstation

There's your early adopters are already all about containers and know they want Atomic, and they'll go get it. We don't even really need to highlight it very much, just mention "Atomic is a cloud thing for containers" and they'll be all over it.

The early majority has some stuff in the cloud already, and probably still have some "pets" either on real hardware or long-lived VMs. They might look at Atomic to evaluate it, but are likely still going to have Cloud or Server as their bread and butter. Highlighting atomic from the cloud page and the main getfedora.org would help us get these users into Atomic.

The "early majority" will still have the Cloud/Server products as their main consumption for quite some time, and even if we think containers are where the cloud is going, there aren't going to be loads of users there for a while.

I'm not sure that transferring the cloud image over to the Server WG makes much sense, since the Cloud WG has the expertise and infra to maintain it already.
--
Ryan Brown / Software Engineer, Openstack / Red Hat, Inc.